NEW RULES FOR RESISTANCE
- Don’t use his name.
- Remember this is a regime and he’s not acting alone.
- Do not argue with those who support him. It doesn’t work.
- Focus on his policies, not his mental state.
- Keep your message positive; they want the country to be angry and fearful because this is the soil from which their darkest policies will grow.
- No more helpless/hopeless talk.
- Support artists and the arts.
- Be careful not to spread fake news. Check it.
- Take care of yourself.
- Keep demonstrations peaceful. In the words of John Lennon: “When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system’s game. The establishment will irritate you, pull your beard, flick your face, to make you fight.Because once they’ve got you violent, then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don’t know how to handle is non-violence and humor.
- When you post or talk about him, don’t assign his actions to him.
- Assign them to the legislators who support him. This will have several effects. The legislators will either have to take responsibility for their association with him or stand up for what some of them don’t like.
- Keep paying attention and keep up the pressure.
- Practice self-care.
- Stay optimistic, but not complacent. If you won’t fight for what you believe in, who will? It will take all of us.
- United we can handle this.
(Editor’s note: This list was found on Facebook. Some people thought it was written by George Lakoff. However, Professor Lakoff didn’t write it. It was written by a member of the audience of Professor Lakoff’s presentations. The author wants this piece to be shared.)