VOTE WITH YOUR MONEY….BUY LOCAL PRODUCTS
VOTE WITH YOUR MONEY….BUY LOCAL PRODUCTS.
By Virginia Kirsch
As you shop this week, look for products made in Wisconsin.
Here are reasons to buy local….
- Biggest job creators. Local businesses are the largest employers nationally.
Circulates more money in our own community and grows the tax base.
- Helps local non-profits as local business owners donate more to local charities than non-local owners.
- Encourages local “character” and culture.
- Reduces environmental impact.
- Gives better customer service.
- Local owners re-invest locally.
- Public benefits outweigh the public costs as relatively little infrastructure is needed to run a smaller Wisconsin business.
- Competition is good. Thousands of smaller businesses give lower prices over the long term.
- Gives more consumers more influence.
Here is a sampling of local businesses: Weinbrenner Shoe Company of Merrill, Timeless Timber of Ashland, Maple Hill Farm of Ladysmith, KCI Sports Publishing of Stevens Point, Cheese’n Quackers Publishing of Wausau, Stoney Acre Farm of Athens, Cherokee Bison Farms of Colby, Helene’s Hilltop Orchard of Merrill and Beef Country Fresh Meats of Weston.
Here is a wonderful website to help you buy locally. You can learn more about proposed legislation to help local businesses. You can read the long list of products made in Wisconsin. The website even gives you posters to download and use.