FAIR MAPS FOR WISCONSIN SUMMIT
Marshfield will be the host of a statewide summit on nonpartisan redistricting on Nov. 9, 2019. Leading national speakers will be addressing the summit, as well as Wisconsin movement leaders and activists. The Fair Maps for Wisconsin Summit will run from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at the Hotel Marshfield, and is sponsored by Common Cause Wisconsin, the Fair Elections Project, League of Women Voters of Wisconsin, The Madison Institute, Oregon Area Progressives, Our Wisconsin Revolution, the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, Wisconsin Farmers’ Union and Wisconsin United to Amend.
“The goals of the summit are to inform and empower activists and to convince legislators and candidates to pledge their support for fair maps legislation,” says Charles Uphoff of the Oregon Area Progressives, the grassroots group coordinating the summit. “The people of Wisconsin, across the political spectrum, are sick and tired of gerrymandering.”
Workshops will be presented on volunteer recruitment, bird dogging and lobbying legislators, voter outreach and education, and using the media.
National speakers include:
- Josh Silver, the founder and director of RepresentUs,
- Chris Lamar, Legal Counsel for Redistricting with the Campaign Legal Center,
- Katie Fahey, the Executive Director of The People, and organize a successful effort in Michigan to ban gerrymandering, and
- Jordan Uhl of Media Matters for America.
Statewide speakers/presenters include:
- Sachin Chheda, Director of the Fair Elections Project;
- Laura Gottlieb, Member of Our Wisconsin Revolution, Indivisible Madison, and
- Tuesday Action and Resistance group;
- Gary Goyke, former Democratic State Senator;
- Erin Grunze, Executive Director for the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin;
- Jay Heck, Executive Director of Common Cause Wisconsin;
- Sarah Pearson, of Birddog Nation; Co-founder and Co-chair of Women’s March Wisconsin;
- Corrinda Rainey-Moore, Outreach and Engagement Manager for Kids Forward;
- Matt Rothschild, Executive Director of the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign;
- Dana Schultz, Executive Director of Wisconsin Voices;
- Dan Theno, former Republican State Senator.
Cost for the summit $50 and includes lunch. The agenda for the day, speaker bios and registration information can be found at www.fairmaps4wisummit.com.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call
Carlene Bechen at 608-513-7655..